The George Lucas Usenet Archive

A Letter to My Fans
From: [email protected] (George Lucas)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.starwars.misc
Subject: A Letter to My Fans
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 20:10:57 GMT
Dear Fans,

Hello, I'm George Lucas. I would like to take the time to write a letter to fans of my Star Wars movies. You have supported my dream to tell stories that span the scope of the imagination. The credit truly belongs to you.

Making movies means putting your ideas and dreams out there for the whole world to see. They can enjoy them, or they can criticize them, or they can disregard them. Like many things in life, it can have a great effect on you depending on how you choose to look at it.

The way I have chosen to look at it is as something owed to me, personally. Others will see the matter differently, and I think that is their right (contrary to what my lawyers have decided). The opportunity to comment on any of my Star Wars films is the opportunity to pay me tribute. If you fail to do so I will slap you in the face.

I like to stay in touch with my fans (I read and send email and newsgroup postings an average of 14 hours a day), and my fans are letting me down. Right now I am poised to do some very daring things in my next movie, Episode 2. Can I count on my fans to act as my army of brainless minions, watching my movies over and over again so that the next one will beat Titanic? I'm not so sure anymore.

I am therefore taking this opportunity to open up a dialogue with my fans on the internet. I want to take the time to hash over such issues as where you think I went wrong, and why you felt the need to say anything about it. Based on your reaction, I will decide how to proceed. As some of you know, Episode 2 is going to explore gay themes. If you are not cooperative, I may have to force it right down your throats, although that is not the outcome I prefer--for a couple of reasons.

We can discuss anything in this dialogue, so feel free to jump in with any question or observation. I promise to be patient with you as I try to teach you what behavior is and is not acceptible to me, personally.

Thank you for your time and may the Force be with you!

George Lucas